Dienel, Dr. Wolfram (2005) Probleme konventioneller Hersteller beim Einstieg in die Öko-Vermarktung. [Problems of Food Industry in the Transition toward Organic Markets.] In: Heß, J and Rahmann, G (Eds.) Ende der Nische, Beiträge zur 8. Wissenschaftstagung Ökologischer Landbau, kassel university press GmbH, Kassel.
Online at: http://oekomarkt-erschliessung.de
Large food companies rarely produce organic products in Germany. Core problems on the economic level are:
• The target groups of the organic market are too small. Market increase requires the exploration of new target groups beyond the typical consumer of organic food.
• Small units lead to high costs per unit and to a vicious circle of too high prices and buying abstinence (in spite of “eco-affinity”).
• Organizational deficits in the marketing chain and inside enterprises hamper a proactive eco-marketing.
There are also problems at the psychological level: The management in conventional food industry fears discrimination of their conventional range and therefore a loss in total turnover. However, this fear is not supported by any empirical experience. In contrast, positive image spill-over effects from the organic range towards the conventional range could be observed. We observed two reasons for this virtual threat:
• No conviction in the potential for demands of organic products.
• Emotional resistance against the lifestyle criticism of the organic movement.
Prospect: Marketing and organizational problems require an active Marketing-Chain-Management inside and outside of enterprise borders. In a horizontal cooperation processors should develop a joint eco-marketing for their organic supplies. Motivational resistance has to be solved before looking for technical or economical solutions.
|EPrint Type:||Conference paper, poster, etc.|
|Type of presentation:||Paper|
|Keywords:||Marketing, Verarbeitung, Vermarktungskette|
|Subjects:||Food systems > Markets and trade|
|Research affiliation:||International Conferences > 2005: Scientific Conference on Organic Agriculture|
|Deposited By:||Dienel, Dr. Wolfram|
|Deposited On:||05 Mar 2005|
|Last Modified:||12 Apr 2010 07:29|
|Document Language:||German - Deutsch|
|Refereed:||Peer-reviewed and accepted|
Repository Staff Only: item control page