Henriksen, Britt I. F.; Grøva, Lise and Kielland, Camilla (2006) Organic Cow Comfort - an advisorytool to secure animal welfare on organic dairy farms in Norway. Poster at: Joint Organic Congress, Odense, Denmark, May 30-31, 2006.
Organic Cow Comfort is an advisory tool in animal welfare, developed to secure animal welfare on organic dairy farms in Norway. The farm advisory tool consists of
• A farm visit by a veterinarian and a production advisor both specialized in animal welfare and organic farming
• An evaluation of herd health and welfare through welfare assessment
• Advice on disease prevention and improve-ment of animal welfare
• Follow up visit by an advisor looking at im-plementation of new initiatives
• Counselling meetings with groups of farmer
The evaluation of herd health and welfare is done with the help of checklists where animal based pa-rameters, farm management and operating systems, and human-animal relationship are recorded. A report is prepared after every farm visit with a health and welfare plan where specific measures for improve-ment of animal welfare are outlined.
|EPrint Type:||Conference paper, poster, etc.|
|Type of presentation:||Poster|
|Subjects:||Animal husbandry > Health and welfare|
|Research affiliation:||International Conferences > 2006: Joint Organic Congress > Theme 8: Animal health and disease handling|
|Deposited By:||Vaarst, Mette|
|Deposited On:||09 May 2006|
|Last Modified:||12 Apr 2010 07:33|
Repository Staff Only: item control page