home    about    browse    search    latest    help 
Login | Create Account

The Glass House: Crucible of Biodynamic Agriculture

Paull, John (2013) The Glass House: Crucible of Biodynamic Agriculture. News Leaf, 95 (Winter), pp. 17-21.

[img]
Preview
PDF - Published Version - English
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

345kB
[img]
Preview
Image (JPEG) - Supplemental Material - English
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

4MB
[img]
Preview
Image (JPEG) - English
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

2MB
[img]
Preview
Image (JPEG) - English
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

7MB

Summary

The Glass House (1914) at Dornach, Switzerland, in the precinct of the Goetheanum, is the oldest extant building designed by Rudolf Steiner. The building is intimately associated with the development of biodynamic agriculture. It was in the Glass House that Assya Turgeniev produced the remarkable engraved coloured glass windows of both the first and the present Goetheanum building, and hence the name 'Glass House'. In 1919, with Steiner's approval, Ehrenfried Pfeiffer (1899-1961) and Guenther Wachsmuth (1893-1963) set up a research laboratory in the basement of the Glass House. Thus began two decades of research work by Pfeiffer at Dornach, which culminated in the publication of his book 'Bio-Dynamic Farming and Gardening' (1938) in five languages, Dutch, English, French, German and Italian.


EPrint Type:Journal paper
Subjects: Food systems
"Organics" in general > Countries and regions > Switzerland
"Organics" in general > History of organics
Knowledge management
Research affiliation: Australia
Australia > University of Tasmania
Deposited By: Paull, Dr John
ID Code:22858
Deposited On:21 Jun 2013 06:58
Last Modified:21 Jun 2013 06:58
Document Language:English
Status:Published
Refereed:Not peer-reviewed
Additional Publishing Information:Reprinted for Journal of Bio-Dynamics Tasmania

Repository Staff Only: item control page