O'Brien, Josie (2004) Sheepdrove Organic Farm Breed and Feed 1a Interim Report. .
• This interim report summarises the results of the first part of the breed and feed 1 trial, a final report will follow the completion of the second half of the trial.
• The trial was undertaken to investigate the impact of removing the Soil Association derogation for 20 per cent non-organic component in organic table bird feed ration.
• The trial was also investigating the suitability of the ISA 257 breed currently used in the SOF system, as it has been questioned as to whether it is the most appropriate genotype to use.
• The objectives of the trial were to ascertain if there are differences between the performance of two genotypes of organic free-range table birds (ISA 257 and colourpac) and two ration types (80 per cent and 100 per cent organic) and establish if there is an interaction between the two.
• 2000 birds were grown in 2 identical houses divided into sections in mixed flocks of approximately 500, under organic free-range conditions conforming to Soil Association standards.
• Weekly weights were obtained for 50-bird samples of each genotype and ration combination in each flock/house. As were behavioural observations after week 6.
• Gait scoring was undertaken one week prior to depletion for a sample of birds of each genotype and ration combination in each flock/house.
|Subjects:||Animal husbandry > Feeding and growth|
|Research affiliation:||UK > Organic Research Centre (ORC) - Elm Farm|
|Deposited By:||O'Brien, Josie|
|Deposited On:||15 Jan 2007|
|Last Modified:||12 Apr 2010 07:34|
Repository Staff Only: item control page